Friday, February 24, 2012

In Memory of Charles Chapman Rust

A member of the district presidents told me what has happened. I was told to send an email about some of my best memories with him so that it could be read at the funeral. I have to say that my best memory would be the time we went canoeingThe weather had been just perfect and the area was so beautiful. We drove for a while (not sure were we went but I loved it) and when we arrived at the campground. We checked into the cabin we were in. The cabin was really small but we only used it for sleeping which I preferred because it got us to experience the wonderful nature that was all around us. At the campground we walked down to the river that ran by it, and skipped rocks and talked about things that were on our minds, or about what we saw. That evening we went into town to buy snacks and drinks for the river trip and then to get dinner. We just walked for a bit and then went to sleep. The next morning we meet up with the person who would take us to where we would start canoeing that day. The ride up was short but fun, Grandpa told me some stories from his childhood and how he got into trouble. When we got to the location the sun had just started to really come up. We started and the ride was good for a bit. As we came around a bend we hit a tree which flipped our canoe. (This is where he liked to say my  steering was bad) I was able to get the boat flipped and grandpa in easily. The hard part was swimming down stream to get our paddles and then swimming upstream to bring them back. The only thing I couldn't get was our food. At the end of the trip I realize that I forgot sunscreen on my legs. They had turn probably the darkest red I have seen on skin. This was such a great time that I will always hold in my heart and remember.

I truly loved him and if there is anything that I have learned is that the Lord has a great man with him now and I look forward to the day when I can see him again.